Forum

Need Help Getting Surround Sound from PC to PX5

Need Help Getting Surround Sound from PC to PX5

Postby bazuden » Mon May 20, 2013 8:44 am

I have my PX 5 connected to my PC via optical cable. this does not allow me to hear surround sound while playing games.

I've deduced that my onboard soundcard is to blame (VIA Tech). I think I have 2 options:
1. Buy a sound card that supports Dolby Digital over optical output.
2. Buy a DSS2 to convert stereo from my current sound card into surround sound.

I'd like to know if anyone has some feedback around these options, and if there's any other options I might have.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good sound card that provides Dolby Digital over optical? The cards I've looked at so far mention support for Dolby Digital, but they either don't specify that it runs over optical, or they appear to have a different port for optical.

Can anyone provide some feedback on using the DSS2 with a PC and PX5? I'm leaning towards this, because at $50 it seems cheaper than what I need to pay for a decent sound card, plus if it works with the PX5, I should be able to use it with other devices, like TVs.

Would appreciate any feedback on these matters.
bazuden

Re: Need Help Getting Surround Sound from PC to PX5

Postby Duper » Mon May 20, 2013 8:06 pm

You will still need a sound card that supports Dolby Digital. I had an Asus sound card and had the same issue. You will need to get a Creative Labs card. ...which is sad because Turtle used to make some awesome sound cards back in the day.
The DSS2 is designed around Dolby. As its Page mentions:

The DSS2 will transform your stereo headset or headphones into Dolby® surround sound, immersing you in your favorite video games, movies and music with a stunning 3D audio environment. Dolby® Digital technology allows you to pinpoint the direction of every sound, enhancing enemy footsteps and amplifying bone-rattling explosions with amazing 360-degree audio. ....

When you buy a sound card, double check that the optical in/out isn't shared with the Mic port.

There are some non-creative cards that support DDS, but you will pay +$100 (American).

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Duper

Re: Need Help Getting Surround Sound from PC to PX5

Postby bazuden » Fri May 24, 2013 7:28 am

Thanks very much for clearing that up, Duper.
bazuden

Return to PC/Mac Gaming Headsets