The Maui is a Wavetable upgrade board that provides your system with full
General MIDI compatibility. It is also a full-fledged fast Sampler Synth.
The Maui can be used as an upgrade to your existing sound card or as a
stand-alone MIDI product. It is an upgrade because it does not do digital
audio in/out, so you'll need another sound board. That sound board doesn't
need to have a Waveblaster connector though.
The Maui has an input for your other sound board. This input is mixed with
the Maui's output and sent to the Maui's output jack.
This card was designed for:
1. Anyone who wants General MIDI compatibility
2. Owners of existing sound cards looking to add General MIDI capability
* ICS WaveFront wavetable synthesizer with a 2 MB ROM of compressed samples
* 16-bit playback
* General MIDI compatible
* SampleStore allows you to take any .WAV file and use it as a MIDI
instrument, expandable up to 8 MB using standard SIMMs
* Includes 256K of sample RAM (expandable to 8MB) for loading new samples
* External MPU-401 compatible MIDI port for MIDI interface
(with optional cable)
* Includes same samples as the Rio daughterboard
* Much higher MIDI transfer rate (70x) than Rio
* No Digital Audio capabilities - it is only a WaveTable / Sampling card
meant to supplement an existing sound card.
* There is no MIDI header connection, although the manual shows one.
This was originally intended to be a pass through from a WaveBlaster
MIDI header, but the ISA bus turned out to be much more advantageous
than having to deal with another card's interface/cable.